June 24, 2009

never hear surf music again / enjoy the silence

Song of the Day: FreeBlood / Never Hear Surf Music Again

This morning I woke up with this gem buzzing in my buzzed brain:

http://www.last.fm/music/Free+Blood/Never+Hear+Surf+Music+Again

Shitdisco and FreeBlood are my top NYC bands au moment. Freeshit Bloodisco to follow?

The thought occurred to me that I might actually want to never hear surf music again, nor any other music for that matter. I habitually use music to silence my own thoughts or reflect them through someone else's creative spurts, thus effectively nulling my own creativity - if any remains, that is. Like most, silence is, to me, both a blessing and a curse. It drives me insane. I used to keep the TV in my apartment on perpetually, regardless of the channel, simply to exist in a space filled with others' voices - a poor man's solution for the rigors of solitude. When I was six years old I convinced my parents to allow me to stay home alone when they went about their eveningtime business, which was most nights. In exchange for my bravery I received the babysitting money. I clearly remember the moment I realized that by keeping the TV on I was cheating. I didn't watch it, the TV did not replace the babysitter - but it calmed me and the habit stuck. All I ever wanted, all I ever needed was there, in the chatter coming from the magic box.

These days I listen to music. Or at least I did. There is nothing like living in a foreign country where you don't understand a word of The People's Language to make you appreciate silence. I've learned to tune out their voices, rolling triumphantly in the Latinesque vibrations of Romanian. I've retreated to the place from which I had managed to escape as a child - my own head. The things I find there now both terrify and fascinate me. I've escaped from the foreign country (Romania) to another foreign turf - my bustling and noisy, mostly unintelligible, stream of consciousness. I hear nothing and it seems that the silence has allowed me to begin seeing the world with open eyes.

It's a sad day and I wish I could just hear surf music again.

No comments:

Post a Comment